Original works of art
| Gertrude Katherine Lathrop
|(American, 1896 -1986 )
A sculptor, Gertrude Lathrop was born in Albany, New York on December 24, 1896. She came from the family of women artists: her mother, Ida, was a painter of landscape and still life and her sister Dorothy, was a noted illustrator of childrens books.
She studied at the Art Students League of New York and School of American Sculpture as a pupil of Solon Borglum and Charles Grafly.
She exhibited at National Academy of Design in 1921 and the following year her work was included in many shows of the National Sculpture Society; Albany Institute of History and Art,
1957 and 1966; and the Woodmere Art Gallery, Philadelphia in 1963.
Lathrop's works may be found in many collections including Brookgreen Gardens;
National Collection of Fine Arts, Washington, DC; Albany Public Library; Houston
Public Library; and the Smithsonian Institution, Washington, DC.
Lathrop was a member of the Society of Animal Painters and Sculptors, the National
Academy of Design, the National Institute of Arts and Letters, the National
Association of Women Painters and Sculptors and the National Sculpture Society
(Assoc.). Her awards include: Hon. Mention, Art Institute of Chicago, 1924;
Helen Foster Barnett prize, National Academy of Design, 1928; and Saltus Gold
Medal for merit, 1970; Medal of Honor, Allied Artists of America, 1964; Silver
Medal, Pen and Brush Club, 1967; among others.